The vineyard as we know it today was established in 1784 according to the viticultural program promoted by Margrave Karl-Friedrich. Even today the remains of the Roman fort can be found on the Castellberg, a cultural treasure whose south and southeast facing vineyards are graced with stone walls and steps. We continue to do everything in our power to preserve this one-of-a-kind vineyard. The highly calcareous soils of the steep, terraced vineyards are comprised of calcareous-marl, weathered limestone and, in some sections, conglomerate stone. As a result, the soils of this exceptional vineyard closely resemble the climates of Burgundy.